Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

the long goodbye....


...is the theme of my life right now.. not that goodbyes are only bad, but they can be a little difficult sometimes, and turn me into a big ball of mush. And I do not like to cry and get all emotional, and crying makes my eyes hurt! Transitions can be tough though necessary... as the saying goes "when one door closes, another one opens". I don't know who said that but it is so true.
The opportunity of Peace Corps service is huge! As a friend at church marveled to me Sunday, going to Mongolia is just too cool for words! That pretty much covers it for me, though I continue to attempt to express these thoughts and feelings in words...(and some pics)However, these ongoing goodbyes remind me just how many wonderful friends and family members I have and I feel very fortunate to be surrounded by such a loving bunch! Saturday I met my longt time gal pals Neicey and Rhonda for hiking (some of those posterior muscles of mine have not worked too much lately and I have noticed now), and we had a fun time together, in spite of the goodbyes. Paula also surprised me by joining us for the day!
On the packing front, I am feeling much more relaxed and practical.... Thanks to Josh (fellow PC Mongolia volunteer blogger and his Mom), and my 5 new PC Mongolia email friends, I have gotten very sound advice and suggestions for packing.. More entertainment, fun, brain stimulation, creature comfort items and less clothes.
Courtney and I had another jam packed day together Monday - lunch, flea market, movies, and some necessary shopping that ended with a great new dress for her (upcoming cousin's wedding next month) and sensible shoes for me..... these old feet of mine need comfort and really good padding!
The next few days I'll be spending some time with my lovely sister and our fun Mom!I am happy to report that PC sent some great information regarding what actually happens when we get to Mongolia.... a nice transition period called "orientation" for 5 days before we go to stay with our host family.



No comments:

Post a Comment