Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 9, 2012

Happy New Year!

me taunting one of the jejurs who always teases me! at school  shin jil party!

me in the middle with my amazing dorm teacher counterparts!
cool fireworks in Suukbaatar Square

the fireworks extravaganza reminded me of July 4th at home

Mongolian President wishing the country a happy and prosperous new year
Since New Year's is the big holiday celebrated here in Mongolia, parties and celebrations abound!  I personally have attended more gatherings and festivities here than my usual at home.
This holiday season I attended the dorm students Shin Jil party, where the girls looked like prom goers and the boys very dapper!  It was rather low key this year; held at the dorm, in the dining hall.
Then was the teachers party which likewise, is extremely formal and quite a good time!  For New Year's Eve I came to the big city where many places are closed, as many families stay home and celebrate.  The gang of PCV's I hung out with managed to find an Irish Pub open, where I enjoyed pork and sauerkraut for dinner!
Fireworks and a televised speech by the Mongolian President were the highlights on the square in Ulaanbaatar at midnight.  Though there were mostly foreigners there, quite a few locals were also present.  
Father Winter at dorm party!

dorm girls having fun!

two of my favorite dorm boys, holding the new year's cards i gave all the students

along with Father Winter are the Snow Princesses and the Mini Santas

even the boys are all dressed up!





I don't usually make resolutions for the New Year, but I'd like to think that I'll continue to attempt to learn more about myself, work on my spirituality and make the world a better place however I can.  My new years wish for everyone is love and happiness, wherever and whenever you can find it.  Give love and it'll come right back to you.  Welcome 2012, Year of the Dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment