Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Disappointment Leads to New Opportunities....

Yep, just when you think you know what you're doing next, the universe surprises you with unexpected changes!  I had spent recent months since prior to completing my Peace Corps service planning for my next adventure in the beautiful country of Georgia...then *poof*...

A week and a half ago I received an email from my recruiter stating that the program in Georgia (Teach & Learn with Georgia) had passed on my application.  I was stunned, disappointed, angry and dismayed.  

Since that time I got a phone call from the recruiter telling me that because of the change in government and the recent election, the program is being discontinued until further notice.  Suffice it to say that I was skeptical, but after doing my own investigation, have found this to be accurate.  Just this morning a friend in the TLG program confirmed she and other current TLG volunteers have been notified that because of the elections, the program for new volunteers is on hold at least until January.

So for me, that translates to continue seeking other jobs as I can't see waiting around that long.... I have been applying for other overseas teaching jobs and have found China to be the most "age friendly" for those of us over a certain age, and those lacking a TEFL certificate.  I have had several positive responses from China (and initial interviews with a second interview today) and this leads me to think I may be heading back to Asia!

Currently the only other interview is for a position in Ukraine, which is also quite interesting to me.  That initial interview is this afternoon.  Thank goodness for Skype!  

For the time being, I am trying to relax and enjoy the companionship of family (that new grand baby makes it awesome) and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment