Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 12, 2012

Spring Fever....

can't wait for these to ripen!

nothin' like fresh salad!
Spring fever..... Many commonalities with the same antsyness I've experienced in the USA, but some differences too!  We know that technically Spring begins on the date of the Spring Equinox, usually 20th or 21st of March.  Here in Mongolia, we say Spring has arrived, not because of the equinox, or the arrival of crocus or snowdrops, but because the infamous "9 9's" of winter are over!!!!
The sun seems brighter, the hours of daylight longer, the air a little less nippy, though still freezing.  It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?  No buds here for a long time however, as the ground is frozen still.  The arrival of Spring in my town is welcomed with snow!  Being in the Gobi we don't get much precipitation at all here, though we've enjoyed snow twice so far this month!  It almost feels warm and reminds me of Ohio, with a light snow falling and a moistness in the air that is usually lacking here!
I yearn to be outside more working in the soil, but that's impossible for now.... and I'm still rather lazy in my winter time hibernation mode!  Back in Ohio, I'd be readying to plant some sweet peas this weekend (St. Patrick's Day is perfect for this according to Martha Stewart:)  but here not till May I think!  I have started some flowers inside and still have my salad plants and herbs to tend to...though I really want to start some veggies for the garden now, though I think I"m still too early.  I dream of a green house that I still need to write the grant for....ugh....back to finishing the grant for the dorm windows, which is almost ready, though now I'm having trouble tracking down my letters of recommendation! 
 Collage is what I've been doing as a way of relaxing and not getting crazy cabin fever.... I tried quilting, knitting, drawing and nothing was quite what I wanted. I tried to get my Arts and Crafts Club kids excited about collage, but not so much.  I then realized I wanted to play with collage so this is my result...Kind of my spiritual journey since I've been in Mongolia.  The longer I'm here and the more things I learn about Buddhism, the more I still feel like a Unitarian Universalist with strong Buddhist leanings..

the whole collage


Some of my antsy feeling may be stemming from the current waiting game...I have applied for a 3rd year here in Mongolia and should know by Friday if I'm accepted, and I am nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs (as the old saying goes).  I am also hoping to be a trainer for the new class of volunteers coming to Mongolia in June.... Lots of irons in the fire, just want to know where I'm heading..... A new beginning elsewhere, or a new year beginning here.  As for this feeling of being antsy, this too shall pass.
me and Pete a few years ago:)
Speaking of new beginnings, if you know this cute guy (my eldest son Pete) tell him congratulations....he and his lovely lady Nicole, are expecting a baby in late Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment